Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

XV 250 Charging

• Advertisement

Post a reply

XV 250 Charging

PostAuthor: Wavelength » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:57 pm

Does anyone happen to have the charge current maximum specs for the xv 250 magneto/rectifier/regulator system. The reason is that I want to install auxiliary lights either side of the headlight for visibility safety. I have gone to the LED headlamp and picked up a few extra amps there. Also, have installed LED running lights under tank, flashing stop light, strobe caution light, and alarm system. These all take a small amount of current. So in the interest of not burning up my charging system, I can't add any more lights without knowing that total current is within specs. Thanks, Cheers, Wavelength. :bg:

Wavelength
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

Bike year & model: Virago 250 2009 8000mi. Mims, FL USA
LED headlamp
Hwy bars and pegs
Alarm
luggage rack and box
O-ring chain
Flashing brake light
Fwd and rear strobes
Windshield
Sex: Male

Re: XV 250 Charging

PostAuthor: Jake » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:11 pm

Contrary to popular belief, switching to LEDs will not lessen the load on your R/R. The regulator supplies X amount of current to run the bike and charge the battery. Once the battery is fully charged the excess voltage is dumped in the form of heat.

Many regulators have been burnt up due to an underload, not an overload. So added lighting will not overtax your charging system, because the rate stays constant, the biggest drawback would be that your battery may take longer to recharge while the bike is running.

~Mark Twain
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: None

PostAuthor: Sr.MailMan » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:20 am

A/C generator: 14 volts,21 amps @ 5000rpm.
Rectifier 25amp capacity.
"Forums are like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea: massive, difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-boggling amounts of **** when you least expect it."

2011 Yamaha xv250 Around town bobber(84.5mpg),Frisco handlebar,2012 mastercylinder, Jardine full exhaust system,Progressive-440 shocks,Dunlop404(one size over F&R)tires,Oxford heated grips,bar end mirrors,reverse side ignition switch,Shorai 14ah battery,mosfet regulator/rectifier,mini bayonet fuse conversion,LED headlight, signals & dash lights, Lucas(1900era)brake/taillight with 60 LEDs & 2 second/20 flashes bulb,heel/toe shifter & floorboards,carb rejet,Iridium spark plugs & non-resistor plug caps, manual XVS 650 petcock & fuel pump delete,Tachometer/hour meter,XS air filter & A.I. delete,KrankVent,Barnett clutch/springs,17/39 sprockets,O-ring chain,VPsef-94 petrol.

2010 DongFang 250(sold)
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
1993 Kawasaki Vulcan88(sold)
Sr.MailMan
Senior Membership
Senior Membership

Bike year & model: 2011 Yamaha Star xv250

PostAuthor: Wavelength » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:06 pm

Yea, Thanks. Maybe a couple spotlights now. lol. :bg:

Wavelength