Forum Donations
Search
VTF Google Search
 Click Here

Manual Petcock you've wanted me to tell you about. (PART 1)

Virago Help Tech and user submitted articles.
  • Advertisement

Topic locked

Manual Petcock you've wanted me to tell you about. (PART 1)

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:59 pm

Ok guys and gals, I wanted to test my new manual petcock before revealing where I bought it and what it was originally manufactured for.

Aside from putting it on my existing tank, which I may do this weekend ( weather permitting ), it is going to be a week or more before my new tank will be ready.

It's obvious that others would like this information so that they may replace their leaky petcock too.

I must emphasize that this application is for my '96 xv750, your bike may be different as to position of the fuel outlet and possible re-routing of the fuel line.

My new petcock will bolt on without modification or adapters, the only problem, and I really don't see much of an issue, is the outlet pipe. It is a little bit shorter than the Virago one and it may be a bit smaller in diameter.
I mention this only because a few minutes ago, I disconnected my fuel line from the petcock on my bike just to see if the hoses were the same. It fit a little looser on the new one, but if I cut off a 1/4 inch of line that has been stretched for 12 years and the use of the clamp, it should be OK.

If you should try this yourself, please don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work to your satisfaction. It is my belief that it will work fine or I wouldn't try it myself. Remember, I haven't tested it yet and I very much want to, however riding season is upon us and I suspect there are several petcocks out there that need repaired or replaced.

Also understand that when you shut off the ignition, that you will have to develope a new habit of shutting off the petcock as well, otherwise you will not be better off than you were with a vacuum acuated petcock because fuel will flow continuously and find it's way in to the crankcase.

The vacuum petcock has spoiled us into ignoring the petcock until we have to switch to reserve or we have other petcock problems.

Now that I've kept you suspense long enough, the dealer I bought mine from on Ebay, apparently doesn't have any more listed. Look here for pics-------> viewtopic.php?t=10675&highlight=

I will tell you it is a Pit Bike petcock, that fits ( according to the dealers listing )Fits: Honda CRF-50, XR-50, SDG, BBR, SSR, Roketa, Thumpstar, Xtreme, Red Baron, CHP, Piranha.

Wait !!

You didn't think I was gonna let you down did ya ?

If you click here and here, it will take you to two suppliers, one for $9.99 the other for $12.25.

Or, you can wait a week or so and see how I make out, at no expense to you.

EDIT: The links provided in this post are dead. If you read further in this thread, there are other links provided and if they don't work, and you are still unsure of the proper petcock, you can ask. If someone else sees it before me, I feel that you will be steered in the right direction.
Last edited by Jake on Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake
Mod
Mod

Location: Penn's Forestland otherwise known as Pennsylvania Flag
Bike year & model: 1996 XV750
Sex: Male

Re: Manual Petcock you've wanted me to tell you about.

PostAuthor: grazingazer » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:08 pm

:urock:
grazingazer
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: modified 1981 xv750 virago...1975 650 xsb

PostAuthor: Jake » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:19 pm

grazingazer";p="92140 wrote::urock:

Ah Shucks, all it took was a little research.
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:44 pm

It's probably just as well that I didn't wait to test it first. I was doing the final sanding on my tank today and noticed a new dent. Just a very small one, but one that would be very noticeable when painted.

It only had one tiny dent to start with and I agonized with it until I was satisfied with it.

Some fumble fingered idiot ( me ) knocked it off the saw horse a couple of days ago, looked and didn't see any damage.

Man, I'm pissed at myself. I was gonna prime it today. Now it's gonna be a few more days til I get right again.

~Mark Twain

Mustang saddle, Yamaha driving lights, Red rear signals, Forward Controls,
XVS650 manual petcock, Hard Krome Double D exhaust.
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: iron_dragon58 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:38 pm

jake your the man! At least you didn't drop the tank after paint... I did that bone head move a few years ago, It placed a new dent in the tank and got all kinds of S--t all over the stell tackie paint, I was mad as .... well you get the idea... lets just say eveybody at my house gave me a wide berth for about a week after that.. LOL
:naughty: just looking to keep the wind in the hair.. 81 VX750

iron_dragon58
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: BradW » Tue May 13, 2008 9:59 am

I am using this on my '81 XV750 which has a 920 tank on it. The only issue is that the outlet points away from the carb, so it required me to use a longer hose to route it to the carb. It may be possible to take these and redrill the outlet on the opposide side, then plug/remove the one that comes with it.
BradW
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: mikel » Wed May 14, 2008 11:21 am

Hey Brad,
You're saying you have the same petcock Jake is using?? I was going to say that I wonder if it will provide enough flow since it has a smaller outlet and is obviously made for much smaller engines. You've not had any issues at high rpm/load?
Ride safe,
Mike

86 XV750

"I was born at night but it wasn't last night"
mikel
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1986 Virago 750

PostAuthor: BradW » Wed May 14, 2008 2:44 pm

Ive run my fat butt at 60mph and it ran fine.
BradW
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: Jake » Wed May 14, 2008 3:14 pm

mikel";p="98450 wrote:Hey Brad,
You're saying you have the same petcock Jake is using?? I was going to say that I wonder if it will provide enough flow since it has a smaller outlet and is obviously made for much smaller engines. You've not had any issues at high rpm/load?

The fuel outlet is not necessarily smaller, but is shorter.

I noted before that the fuel hose fit a little looser on the trial fit, but I also said that the fuel hose was stretched a little from years of use.

The difference is probably in the wall thickness of the outlet.

The inside diameter of the fuel outlet is approximately the same diameter as the Yamaha one.

Also I should add, that the main inlet filter is shorter on the manual petcock, and to increase the height of the strainer all you have to do is transfer the one from your original Virago vacuum petcock and it fits perfectly. However, it should not make any difference.

That being said, the fuel flow would not be a problem.
Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:57 pm

Ok people, time to give my report on this petcock.

It's been quite awhile since the original posting and regrettably not as much time in the saddle as I wanted, due to falling on my head in April ( literally ).

The new petcock with POR15 tank liner is working great. The only issue I have, and it is not due to the petcock, but rather a mod I did to it.

I thought the main filter was a bit too low and replaced it with a taller one I assumed was one from a vacuum actuated one. It was rattling around the bottom of my old tank, but did not come off the old petcock as it still has both filters attached. I found it when I rebuilt the vacuum petcock.

My reason for thinking a taller filter would work better is that the filters with the new petcock would leave me with a very small reserve, altho if the low fuel light works OK and I watch/reset my trip meter each time I fill up, the reserve doesn't matter all that much.

Anyway, after about 50 miles I find that I have to switch to reserve, my assumption is the main filter sets too high in the tank and when the fuel drops too low on the main filter, no gas to the carbs.

That had me confused and worried the first time it happened, because the low fuel indicator wasn't lit. I switched to reserve and problem solved.

Easily remedied, just gotta drain tank remove petcock, replace filter.

Before ya'll get excited and say maybe there is something else wrong and my mileage probably sucks.

Sunday my wife and I went for an 80 mile ride up over and around some of the mountains and valleys here. Full tank of gas, had to switch to reserve at 50. A coupla times I cranked her up to 70mph, but mostly 45 to 50mph. I topped off the tank this evening and the gas mileage was 41.778 MPG. 86.9 miles, fill up with 2.08 gallons.

Not too much of a problem remembering to turn off the petcock, but do have a slight problem remembering to turn it on. :doh: She kinda don't wanna go too far before she stumbles.

I am quite happy with the change. :grin:

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:26 pm

I thought it was time to give y'all an update on my manual petcock. To date, it has worked flawlessly. I have found the same petcock on Ebay today from $9.50 to $9.95 and $9.99.

One more possibility is the Suzuki TS100, TS125, TS185, and TS250. That info is courtesy of Matthew's Vacuum to manual petcock / petcock notes, also found on Ebay around $13.00 + shipping.

I've saved the best for last, additional info I was able to come up with for those looking for alternatives is part # 21V-24500-10-00 which is the petcock for Yamaha 350 Wolverine and the same part # applies to the '04 and the '08 XVS650 and probably all in between, for I have not researched that yet, but the important part is the part number. $17.38 from Xtreme Powersports, as an example. Or Boats.net for $13.10

Well, there ya go. I hope this will enlighten some of you that have expressed interest in this post and were unsure if you wanted to try my mod. Best of all, a genuine Yamaha alternative. I'm sure there are others out there that will fit too, but this is what I have come up with lately.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: Jake » Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:50 pm

For those of you that want a little more bling, part # 4WM-24500-00-00. Chrome petcock from V-Star 1100

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: BRBR » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:31 am

Good information Jake, thanks for digging it out. Do you know if replacement seals are available, or cheap? I'm thinking of the 4/5 hole sliding valve.

BRBR
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: blackiex » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:30 am

Hello Everyone,

I have a strange problem and I guess it is in connection with my petcock. My front plug is carbon fouled and pilot adjustment is useless, it has no influence on idle speed.
I suspected the MCV, but when I removed it gas poured out of the vacuum lines and the MCV.
I read the article ("Virago petcock fix" by Matthew) about leaky petcock diaphragm and fouled plugs. Do you think my petcock diaphragm is to blame for all and my problem is the same? Shall I change my petcock to manual, too or just rebulid it with a proper kit?

Thank you!

David, Hungary
(1986 XV 700 SS)
blackiex
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 XV750
2005 XVS 1100

PostAuthor: scootermcq » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:18 am

Hello David.. If you have a leaking diaphragm which allows fuel to be sucked down the vacuum line, you are bi-passing the carb and sending fuel directly into the cylinder via the intake manifold (carb holder). This is the first thing you must fix. You may still have carb issues, but you will never know with straight fuel going into the cylinder.

To rebuild or replace with manual is a matter of choice. While manual are less prone to failure (they still do) you have to remember to switch to on while running and turn to off just prior to shutting down the bike (if you have a stuck needle you will flood the carb & cylinder otherwise). Vacuum operated takes the memory work out of it.

Another option for right now until you decide is to check that your petcock does not leak while in the on position. (With the bike not running pull the fuel line and make sure you do not have fuel leaking after the little bit in the line dumps out) If it does not leak you can remove the vacuum lines and cap them. Then to run the bike, use prime as on and on as off. If you do this, You will NOT HAVE A RESERVE, so you have to watch your miles and fill accordingly.

This will also allow you to see if you can turn your carbs without the problem of additional fuel being dumped into the mix.

Now last point is to check your oil for fuel. This will kill your clutch and the seal of your piston rings. When you dump additional fuel into the combustion chamber, if it is not burned it has to go somewhere. That is quite often down the cylinder walls and into the oil. If in doubt, change the oil and filter. It is not worth the risk.

Good luck
2000 Suzuki VS1400 Intruder
Jardine Pipes
Mustang Seat
Crash Bar & Highway Pegs
Lightbar
scootermcq
Mod
Mod

Bike year & model: 2000 Suzuki Intruder
VS1400

PostAuthor: blackiex » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:30 am

Thanks for your reply, I will make some investigation around the matter on the bike and decide whether it's worth changing my petcock to manual.
Tanks again!
David

1986 XV700SS
(1RR-00562)
blackiex
Gold Membership
Gold Membership

Bike year & model: 1992 XV750
2005 XVS 1100

PostAuthor: tazman45 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:42 am

I can't believe somebody has not come up with a aftermarket manual petcock for the Virago

tazman45
Junior Membership
Junior Membership

PostAuthor: sirpug » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:40 pm

Has anyone done this mod on a 81-83 750 with the stock tank? What is the verdict? Any mounting and/or routing issues?
THX, Josh
1982 Virago 750
It's not whether the glass is half empty or half full; the real question is who's buying the next round. :beer:
You tried your hardest and failed miserably. The moral of the story is to never try. :slap:
Its an attitude, a lifestyle and a way of life. Laid back 4psi style. :bike:
:420:
sirpug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 Virago

PostAuthor: Jake » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm

BradW";p="98327 wrote:I am using this on my '81 XV750 which has a 920 tank on it. The only issue is that the outlet points away from the carb, so it required me to use a longer hose to route it to the carb. It may be possible to take these and redrill the outlet on the opposide side, then plug/remove the one that comes with it.

Shouldn't be an issue.

~Mark Twain

Jake
Mod
Mod

PostAuthor: sirpug » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:30 pm

I saw Brad's post but he's using a bigger 920 tank on his. I'm still running the smaller stack tank and just wanted to be sure because I'm tired of these frackin' vacuum petcocks.
THX, Josh
1982 Virago 750
It's not whether the glass is half empty or half full; the real question is who's buying the next round. :beer:
You tried your hardest and failed miserably. The moral of the story is to never try. :slap:
Its an attitude, a lifestyle and a way of life. Laid back 4psi style. :bike:
:420:
sirpug
Silver Membership
Silver Membership

Bike year & model: 1982 xv750 Virago

Next

Topic locked

• Advertisement

Return to Virago Help - Tech Articles